Assemble an Emergency Supply Kit
Your supply kit should include the following items:
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- Can opener for food
- Cash or traveler's checks and change
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Food: a 3-day supply of non-perishable food
- Local Maps
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification, and bank records
- Infant formula and diapers
- Medications, prescriptions, and medical equipment
- Pet food, water, and pet supplies
- Water: 1 gallon of water per person per day
Create a Family Disaster Plan
- Identify ahead of time where you could go if told to evacuate. Choose several places: a family's home in another town, a motel, or a shelter.
- Keep telephone numbers of these places on hand, as well as maps to each location.
- If you will need assistance evacuating before the storm, call 2-1-1 or contact the La Porte Senior Services Center at 281-470-9897.
- Carry a list of telephone numbers that includes emergency contacts, family members, and other important numbers, such as your family doctor.
- Keep your gas tanks full during hurricane season.
- Make sure to include a plan for your pets.
Stay informed before, during and after the storm to better protect your home and your family.
- Learn about the different hurricane evacuation routes. View the Hurricane Evacuation Map (PDF).
- Review the City's local emergency plans.
- Purchase a NOAA weather radio and battery-powered radio to stay informed throughout the storm.
- Monitor local radio and TV stations for updates before and after the storm.
- The Office of Emergency Management now uses social media to keep our citizens informed. Like La Porte Office of Emergency Management on Facebook and follow La Porte OEM on Twitter.
- Updated information will be posted on the Citizens Hotline at 281-470-0040.
The City will notify you before, during and after a storm through local media and the City's phone notification system. With this system, the City may contact you via phone, email and text message. Make sure to register your cell phone number so that you will continue to receive updates once you have evacuated. Click here to register.