E-mail storyPrint friendly format
Homepage > City Departments > Human Resources > FAQ

Human Resources Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the most common questions we recieve here in Human Resources.
If you feel you need further information, please feel free to call 281-470-5028.

Are all City employees who work for the City of La Porte elligible for benefits?
Only our full-time employees are elligible for benefits.

Are there any current job openings?
The City's job line (281-471-5186) is changed on Monday and Wednesday of each week to reflect current job openings. If there are no job openings, the message states such. 

Can I submit a resume instead of completing a job application?
No, each applicant must have a completed application in order to be considered for a position. However, an applicant may include a coverletter and resume if they choose to.

Do you have any openings?
Our current employment opportunities may be found by dialing our job line at 281-470-5186, or by clicking this link to our employment page.

Does the City have a job line?
Yes, it is 281-470-5186 and it is updated each Monday and Wednesday.

Does the City have a Police Cadet program?
We are not currently taking applications to be put on the list for the next civil service exam.

Does the City have any Police Officer Openings? How do I apply?
We are only accepting applications for our Lateral Entry program. 

Lateral Entry Requirements:
Applicants must have graduated from an accredited Police Academy and possess a Basic Peace Officer license issued by TCLEOSE by the time of appointment.

Applicants must pass:
Physical Fitness Exam   Psychological Exam   
Comprehensive Background Investigation  Polygraph
Medical Exam  Drug Screening 
12 month probationary period  

Applying for the Lateral Entry Program:
Applicants interested in applying for the Lateral Entry Program must meet the minimum requirements as stated below. The applicant must then complete a City of La Porte employment application and indicate "Lateral Police" in the position title box. Also, as requested by Lt. Swenson, please enter an active e-mail address on the front of the application. There is not a place specifically generated for e-mail addresses, therefore, anywhere in plain sight on the front of the application will suffice.

How can I get specific information and a job description for a job I'm interested in?
All information may be found on our Employment Opportunity page, only for available positions.

How can I obtain an employment application?
You must apply online on the City of La Porte Employment page.

How do I apply for a position?
We are only excepting applications submitted through our online application process! The link to apply may be found on the City of La Porte "Employment" page.

For questions, please contact Human Resources at 281-470-5028.


  • We can only accept applications for positions that are currently posted.
  • You must complete a separate application for each position.
  • If a closing date is noted, applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date in order to be considered.  All other positions are open until filled and may be withdrawn at any time.
  • Drug testing is required for all positions.
  • Failure to submit a complete application will result in non-consideration of your application.

Note: We cannot accept applications subitted through e-mail or fax. Any applications/resumes submitted via e-mail will be deleted and will not be considered acceptable for submission.

How long does my application stay on file?
We do not keep applications on file. For each position an applicant is interested in applying for, he or she must complete a seperate application for each.

Should I turn in a resume with my application?
You may submit a resume with a completed application and they will be processed together. However, be certian to completely fill out the City of La Porte application in order to be considered for any position!

What benefits do full time employees receive?
The City of La Porte offers excellent employee benefits, such as:

  • Sick Leave
  • Vacation Leave
  • 11 Holidays per calendar year
  • Bereavement Leave
  • Retirement
  • Health
    • Medical
    • Dental
    • Vision
  • Short & Long Term Disability

What if the City damages my personal property?
Contact City Hall at 281-471-5020 and speak to the Safety/Loss Prevention Coordinator. 

What is the process after I have submitted my application?
As soon as you are finished with your online application an e-mail is sent directly to the supervisor to alert them that you have applied! On that e-mail is a link to your application that takes them directly to it for them to review!

After a position has been filled, it is immediately taken off of the website and job posting.

When is the next Civil Service exam?
This general knowledge exam is given toward the end of summer each year. It is recommended that those interested in taking the exam turn in an application.