| || |
Parks & Recreation Department
Quarterly Events - January, February & March 2013
Special Olympics Winter Games 2013
The City of La Porte Special Programs will be participating in the Special Olympics Winter Volleyball competition on January 31 through February 3, held in Austin, TX. There will be approximately 10 to 15 La Porte adults participating in the event.
On March 9, 2013, Special Programs will be participating in the Special Olympics Winter Basketball competition. The event will be held at the Alvin High School from 8 am to 6 pm. There will be approximately 20 to 30 La Porte youth and adult participants competing.
Easter Egg Hunt - March 23, 2013
Come join the City of La Porte Parks & Recreation Department’s Annual Easter Egg Hunt held at 600 Little Cedar Bayou Park at the soccer field on March 23, starting promptly at 10 am. Infants to 10 years of age are welcome to participate at no charge. There will be brightly colored eggs hidden, and an appearance by Easter Bunny for those wishing to take pictures, so don’t forget to bring your cameras.
Fitness Center Classes – Ongoing
The City of La Porte Fitness Center is always attempting to offer exciting exercise classes, as well as, instructors to teach classes. Currently, we are offering the following classes. For prices and dates, please contact the Fitness Center at 281-470-9891 as classes are ongoing based on meeting the participant minimum requirement, and prices will be prorated based on when you join, and if you are a member or non-member. All classes offer a one day walk in fee if you would like to participate to see if the class is right for you.
- Aqua Zumba offers safe but challenging water based work out that is cardio conditioning and body toning. The class is held 3 days a week on Monday and Thursday from 6:45 pm – 7:30 pm, and Saturday from 9:00 am - 9:45 am.
- Water Aerobics is the performance of aerobic exercise in shallow water and is a type of resistance training. Classes are held Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 7:00 am to 8:00 am and 8:15 am to 9:15 am; and Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 5:15 pm to 6:15 pm
- Pilates is a body conditioning routine that helps build flexibility and long, lean muscles, strength and endurance in the legs, abdominals, arms, hips and back. It enhances core strength. The class is held 2 days a week on Monday and Wednesday starting at 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
- Yoga is a system of exercises practiced to promote control for the body and mind. The class is held on Monday starting at 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm.
- Jazzercise combines dance-based cardio with strength training and stretching to sculpt, tone and lengthen muscles for maximum fat burn. Classes are held Monday through Thursday from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm, and Saturday from 8:30 am to 9:30 am.· Zumba exercises include music with fast and slow rhythms, as well as resistance training. Classes are held Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm.