| || |
What Is My Heavy Trash Schedule?
For the period of January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013, please view the Map to find the zone you are in and view the Schedule to find out your heavy trash dates.
Heavy Trash schedules are distributed each year during the Plastics Garbage Bag distribution. Also, the Heavy Trash schedule for each zone is printed in the Annual La Porte Community Calendar.
What is Heavy Trash?
Heavy trash is different from household garbage.
Household garbage contains food stuffs which deteriorate and must be disposed of, according to State regulations, differently than heavy trash.
Heavy trash includes:
- Brush and yard wastes
- Discarded appliances
- Building debris
- Any items not classified as household garbage
Heavy Trash Collection
- Place brush and yard waste seperate from appliances, furniture and other household materials.
- The City is divided into 5 zones for heavy trash collection. Click map and schedule above to find your pick up dates.
- Trash will be collected on 1 of the 2 scheduled days.
- Trucks will pass your residence only once in the 2-day period.
- Trucks will not return to an area once completed.
- Small items should be placed in bags or boxes to prevent scattering by the wind.
- Refrigerators or freezers should be empty and have the doors removed or tied shut for the safety of neighborhood children.
- Vehicles parked in front of trash could prevent collection.
- Items which may not identifiable as trash should be clearly marked “TRASH."
How Much Trash Will The The City Collect?
The City will not collect piles larger than 10 cubic yards. This is a pile approximately 6 ft. wide x 6 ft. high x 8 ft. long. If a pile is larger than this, the City will collect only 10 cubic yards. The remainder will be left uncollected.
Excess trash not collected could place you in violation of the City Ordinance concerning early put out of trash for collection. To avoid this:
- Put out no more than 10 cubic yards
- Remove any excess and place out on next scheduled collection day
- Contact City’s contractor for removal at your expense
What Trash the City will not accept?
The City will not collect rocks, bricks, dirt, ashes, paint, and hazardous materials.
Where Should I Place My Trash?
- All trash should be placed behind the curb, not in the street.
- The City will not collect rocks, bricks, dirt, ashes, paint, and hazardous materials!
- Trash should always be in front of your property.
- Trash should be not placed in the street right-of-way, across the street, or in front of someone else’s property.
- Trash should not be placed too close to fences, mailboxes, under low hanging electrical wires, or low hanging limbs. This could result in the trash not being collected.
- Trash should be placed for collection by 7 a.m. of the first scheduled collection day and no earlier than 5 days prior to scheduled date.