| || |
HURRICANE SEASON BEGINS JUNE 1ST! ARE YOU READY?
- CREATE A FAMILY DISASTER PLAN
Click here to prepare a printable Family Disaster Plan.
- Identify ahead of time where you could go if told to evacuate. Choose several places: a family's home in another town, a motel, or a shelter.
- Keep telephone numbers of these places on hand, as well as maps to each location.
- If you will need assistance evacuating before the storm, call 2-1-1 or contact the La Porte Senior Services Center at 281-470-9897.
- Carry a list of telephone numbers that includes emergency contacts, family members, and other important numbers, such as your family doctor.
- Keep your gas tanks full during hurricane season.
- Make sure to include a plan for your pets.
- ASSEMBLE AN EMERGENCY SUPPLY KIT
Your supply kit should include the following items:
- Water: one gallon of water per person per day
- Food: a 3-day supply of non-perishable food
- First aid kit
- Flashlight & extra batteries
- Local Maps
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio & a NOAA Weather Radio w/ tone alert & extra batteries
- Pet food, water, and pet supplies
- Medications, prescriptions, & medical equipment
- Can opener for food
- Cash or traveler's checks and change
- Infant formula and diapers
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification, and bank records
- STAY INFORMED
- Stay informed before, during and after the storm to better protect your home and your family.
- Learn about the different hurricane evacuation routes. Click here to view the Hurricane Evacuation Map.
- Review the City's local emergency plans.
- Purchase a NOAA weather radio and battery-powered radio to stay informed throughout the storm.
- Monitor local radio and TV stations for updates before and after the storm.
- The Office of Emergency Management now uses Facebook and Twitter to keep our citizens informed. Like "La Porte Office of Emergency Management" on Facebook and follow "La Porte OEM" on Twitter.
- Updated information will be posted on the Citizens Hotline at 1-866-642-4153.
- PHONE NOTIFICATION SYSTEM:
The City will notify you before, during and after a storm through local media and the City's public notification system, Blackboard Connect. With this system, the City may contact you via phone, email and text message. Make sure to register your cell phone number so that you will continue to receive updates once you have evacuated. Click here to register.