Building Permits

All residential and commercial permit applications and corresponding documents will need to be sent electronically to

The City of La Porte has adopted the 2018 ICC Building Codes and the 2020 National Electrical Codes:

Click here to view a list of applicable codes.


  1. New Residential
  2. New Commercial
  3. Residential Addition
  4. Commercial Addition
  5. Residential Remodel
  6. Commercial Remodel
  • Completed Building Permit Application
  • Complete set of construction plans that meets all of the requirements of the residential check list
  • Completed floodplain development permit application (if within a flood hazard area)
  1. Residential Shed/Accessory Structure
  2. Generator
  3. Solar Panels
  4. Window Replacement
  5. Siding
  6. Foundation
  • Completed Building Permit Application
  • Property survey or to scale drawing detailing the dimensions of the proposed structure and where it will be placed on the property
  • For a pre-fabricated structure (like a Tuff Shed), you will need to provide the manufacturers installation instructions
  • Completed floodplain development permit application (if within a flood hazard area)
  1. Fence
  2. Swimming Pool
  3. Roof
  4. Driveway
  5. Irrigation
  • A fence permit is required if 50% or more of the fence is being replaced
  • Completed Building Permit Application
  • Property survey or to scale drawing of the property indicating where the fence will be placed
  • Application must list the fence material and height of the fence
    • Fence material per Chapter 106-789
    • Height cannot exceed 8 feet
  • Completed floodplain development permit application (if within a flood hazard area)
  1. Grease Trap
  2. Sign
  3. Demolition
  4. Fire Permits
  • Required for any establishment selling food or drinks
  • Sealed drawings by an engineer per building code/ordinance
  1. Fill Dirt Permit
  2. Culvert Permit
  3. Storm Water Quality Permit
  4. Right-of-Way Permit
  • Completed fill dirt permit application
  • A property survey, sketch, or site plan indicating where the fill dirt will be placed and its dimensions
  • If more than 50 truckloads of fill will be placed, a grading & drainage plan sealed by an engineer is required
  • Please click here for the application

For any permit questions that were not answered by the information above, please call 281-470-5073 and ask for the plans examiner. 

How can I pay for my permit?

Permits can be paid for by visiting Please complete the following steps:

  • Put in your application number and hit "continue"
  • Click on the option on the left that says "application fees"
  • Select the appropriate fee and finish paying


What permits do I need to open a business?

  • A zoning permit (La Porte's version of a certificate of occupancy) is required for all new businesses. 
  • Remodel work to the building you are purchasing/leasing may need a permit. Please see the Commercial Remodel tab for more information. 
  • The City of La Porte issues business licenses for different types of businesses. Please visit for more information. 
  • For any additional questions that do not pertain to the inspections services division, please call the City of La Porte main number at 281-470-5020 and the receptionist can get you in contact with the correct department.  

Is the homeowner doing the work?

Homeowners can perform the work if they have completed their Harris County Residential Homestead Exemption

Contractor Insurance and License Requirements

All contractors will need to adhere to the City's insurance requirements for contractors and license requirements for contractors.

There are no contractor registration forms and no contractor registration fees. Contractors need to send their COI and licenses to  

How much does a permit cost?

Permit costs can be found on our Building Permit Fee Schedule

How long is a permit active?

Per the Building Code, permits are valid for six (6) months. Once an inspection has been scheduled, the permit will automatically be extended six months from the date of inspection. All permits are allowed one (1) extension if there is no activity in six (6) months. Requests must come in writing and fees will be applied. If a permit expires and has already received an extension, the permit is voided and the applicant must apply for a new permit. 

What if my project is in the floodplain?

All permitted work done in the floodplain requires a Floodplain Development Permit. Please see our Floodplain Information Page for more information.